Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tube Bracelet

Making a bracelet from a pattern designed by Antonio Calles (Bead and Button). I actually started making this bracelet a few weeks ago and ended up joining the components to make a ring and earrings set.

First two components, joined as you go along.

I'm using Nymo thread size D now. I've attempted to for a long time but after reading a lot of forums I learned the proper way to use it.

Nymo thread has to be conditioned. It has to be pre-stretched and waxed with either beeswax or Thread Heaven. I read in one forum that it can actually be ironed lightly so that the wax bonds better with the thread. I never tried this before and I think it works!

I put the prestretched and waxed Nymo under a piece of fabric, like a handkerchief. Then I run the iron a few times across, on a medium heat setting.

When I'm done the thread doesn't fray as much and doesn't tangle at all. I used to avoid using Nymo because of the fraying, but this fixed that.

One way to avoid fraying is to just avoid sewing through the thread itself. This will be a big help when you have to unravel for some reason. This is pretty annoying when the thread is frayed.

Here is the finished bracelet base. I'm making it for an eight year old so it's a bit shorter than it says in the pattern.

The next part of the bracelet is to create the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment